I love scones. I love everything about scones that people who love scones love. My favorite scones in Montreal are from Le Pain Dans Les Voiles but these scones are glutinous and not vegan. I tried to make scones before but they would crumble, be dry, and not scones at all, until I found the Love & Lemons recipe. The recipe wasn’t perfect, but it was a great start I was able to adapt well. they don’t look like traditional scones but they taste delicious, aren’t dry and have that scone-y flakiness. Best of all, my toddler loved them & I felt happy giving them something nutritious to snack on.
I recommend making your own almond milk to make this even healthier and free of additives.
2 1/4 cups oat flour + 1/4 cup for dusting
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar (I have used coconut and/or golden cane)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup ta chilled unrefined coconut oil
1 cup cold almond milk
1 cup cranberries (frozen or fresh), sliced in half
1.5 tablespoons flax meal
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together together the oat flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the chilled solid coconut oil using a pastry cutter, fork or hands (if yours are icy like mine!) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. This will take a while.
- Add the cold almond milk and stir to incorporate.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently several times, incorporating more flour if needed.
- Separate the dough into two halves. Working with one half at a time, pat the dough down and place 1/2 cup of the cranberries on one side of the dough.
- Fold the other side of the dough over the cranberries and press gently or it can fall apart. This is your scone base.
- Shape the dough into circle about 1 inch thick and slice into 6 triangles.
- Transfer the scones to the baking sheet. Repeat with the second half of dough.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the scones from the oven and cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.